In 2015, You Gotta Believe is celebrating 20 years of connecting youth in foster care with permanent families!
We are #LookingBack and #LookingForward.
Twenty years ago, our founder, Pat O’Brien saw the correlation between homelessness and youth who “aged out” of foster care – that youth who no longer had foster care at age 21 often became homeless because they had family to turn to. He resolved to tackle this at the root, focusing on ensuring that every child in foster care had a loving family – no matter the child’s age, orientation, race, ability.
Today, twenty years later, we are proud to be continuing and expanding on that view – that it’s never too late for family. Over these years, we are proud to have connected hundreds of youth with loving families; indeed our staff is primarily a staff of adoptive families and adopted children. Through the next few months, we will be#LookingBack, highlighting stories from twenty years of YGB, as well as#LookingForward, sharing our dreams and hopes for youth in foster care, and for You Gotta Believe!
JOIN US TO SHARE YOUR STORIES, MEMORIES AND HOPES OF #LookingBack AND #LookingForward!
- Help us raise $20,000 to celebrate 20 years of connecting youth to families! You can donate online, text to give, or simply write us a check.
- Join us as we are honored for our service to NYC Youth at the annual Celebration gala, hosted by Youth I.N.C on Tuesday, November 17 at the Waldorf Astoria in new York City. Tickets, and more information here.
- Share the stories of You Gotta Believe with your friends, family, co-workers and anyone who believes in family! Invite them to join our mailing list – and if you haven’t yet joined, please sign up here!
- Share a memory, a story or a picture, from YGB’s last 20 years, and your hopes and visions for YGB’s next 20 years, via Facebook and/or Twitter using the hashtags #YGB20Years, #LookingBack, #LookingForward.
- Plan to take an actual or virtual ‘Penguin Plunge‘ with us on January 1, 2016!
Let’s make this 20th anniversary one filled with… celebration, hope, and above all, family!